MSK CHALLENGE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The My Sister’s Keeper Challenge (“Contest”) is sponsored by The Black Women’s Health Imperative, with offices at 55 M Street, SE, Suite 940, Washington, DC 20003 ("Sponsor"). Contest is governed by these official rules (“Official Rules”). By participating, each Entrant agrees to abide by these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements, and understands that the results of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor and its agents, are final in all respects. Contest is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law. Sponsor reserves the right to modify, suspend or discontinue this Contest at any time.
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Entry to the Contest will be held online from 12:01 am Eastern Time (“ET”) November 24, 2017 (“Contest Start Date”) to 11:59 pm Eastern Time (“ET”) January 31, 2018 (“Contest Entry Period.”)
2. Submission (as defined below) must be created by and owned by the Entrant and uploaded in accordance with the instructions on the Contest Website (as defined below) as a single file in the highest quality, but no larger than 1 GB.
3. Videos must be recorded in English.
4. Submissions can be no more than 2 minutes long and must reflect a narrative that is focused on the Contest theme of reproductive justice.
5. Limit of  entries per Entrant.
1. The Contest is open to all individuals who are at least 18 years of age and legal residents of the 50 United States and DC, and who are currently enrolled in an accredited college or university in the United States (“Entrant”). Void outside of the 50 United States, Washington D.C., and where prohibited. Employees, officers and directors of Sponsor and its agents, as well as members of their immediate families (defined as parents, spouses, children, siblings and grandparents) and individuals living in the same household as those individuals are not eligible to enter or win. Sponsor has the right to verify the eligibility of each Entrant.
2. The Contest is open to individuals and teams. There is a maximum limit of three (3) members for any team. All team members must meet the eligibility requirements. Entrants submitting as a team will be collectively known as the Entrant.
3. Entrant must be the rightful owner of the e-mail address registered within The My Sister’s Keeper Challenge account used to log in and upload the Submission.
4. Winning a prize is contingent upon meeting all requirements set forth herein. Entrants who do not meet those requirements will be disqualified, and their Submissions will be void.
HOW TO ENTER
1. During Contest Entry Period, Entrants can upload a video submission (each a “Submission”) by completing the Contest registration form located at www.MSKchallenge.com (the “Contest Website”) and uploading the Submission in accordance with the instructions. Once a Submission is submitted, no additional uploads or further edits can be made to the Submission.
2. For entries to be eligible, Entrants must completely and accurately enter all information to enter. Submissions must comply with these Official Rules. Each Entrant is responsible for all costs and expenses incurred in connection with the creation and submission of the entry to the Contest and Sponsor will not reimburse or be responsible for any such costs or expenses.
3. Only entries submitted through the Contest Website will be accepted. No mailed or emailed entries will be accepted. Receipt of entry will not be acknowledged, and proof of submission of an entry will not be deemed proof of receipt. Any automated computer receipt (such as a “thanks for entering” message) does not constitute proof of actual receipt of entry by Sponsor. All entries become the exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Sponsor has no obligation to advise an entrant of an incomplete or otherwise non-compliant entry. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, invalid, unintelligible, incomplete, garbled, or misdirected entries, which will be disqualified. In the event of a dispute as to any entry, the authorized account holder of the email account used to enter will be deemed to be the Entrant. The “authorized account” holder is the natural person assigned the email account by the email service provider. Potential winners may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
CONDITIONS ON ENTRY
All Submissions must be personal works that are not created within the scope of Entrant’s study as a student at the college or university at which Entrant is enrolled. As a result, the Submission must comply with the following minimum requirements:
• Entrant must not use the resources or facilities of the college or university or obtain any support from the college or university or faculty in the creation of the Submission.
• The Submission must not be submitted as part of a school program, course or classroom study or otherwise submitted for faculty or academic critique.
• Entrant must not earn any academic or course credit for the Submission.
Entrants acknowledge and agree there is no sponsorship funding of any college or university for this Contest and the Contest is not administered by or operated under the direction or control of any of college or university.
Entries are for use solely for the Contest. You are not permitted to use, display, print, publish or post your Submission, in whole or in part, for any public or commercial purpose of any kind. You should not publish or post your Submission in any online or print media, including social media. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in disqualification.
By submitting to the Contest, Entrant agrees that:
- • The information you have submitted is correct.
- • You have legal right to represent and submit your Submission to the Contest.
- • You are responsible for all copyrights needed for your Submission.
- • You have obtained the necessary clearances for people, archive footage and music shown in your Submission.
- • Sponsor will not be held responsible for any legal disputes regarding the exhibition of your Submission.
All components of a Submission must be the Entrant’s original creation. Modifying, enhancing, or altering another person’s pre-existing work or copying any other submission does not qualify as an original creation. Submissions must not have been submitted in any other contest or promotion, in whole or in part, or have won any other award. Submissions must not: (i) contain any copyrighted works (including music or archived footage) without permission of the copyright owner, (ii) contain any false or defamatory statements about any person or third party, (iii) contain any third party trademarks that suggest affiliation with any trademark owner without permission of such owner, (iv) contain the likeness of any person from whom entrant has not obtained proper consent as provided in these Official Rules, (v) infringe any third-party proprietary or personal rights (vi) contain any profanity, nudity, depictions of violence, threatening language, (vii) be inappropriate, indecent, harmful, discriminatory or obscene, or (viii) depict any act which is dangerous or suggests any person undertake a dangerous activity, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion.
All Submissions must be in keeping with Sponsor’s image. Sponsor may disqualify any Submission as determined by Sponsor to be in violation of these Official Rules, in its sole and absolute discretion (including Submissions with unsuitable content or that are in apparent or potential violation of third-party).
Rights of Privacy and Publicity of Others:
By submitting a Submission, Entrant represents and warrants that Entrant has obtained written permission from each person whose name, image, likeness or voice (“Likeness”) is included in the Submission; that such person has granted all necessary rights to use the person’s Likeness in the Submission and as described in these Official Rules; and that Entrant can and will make written copies of such permissions available to Sponsor upon request. If the Likeness of a minor is included, such grant of rights must include written permission from the minor’s parent or legal guardian authorizing the use of the minor’s Likeness on behalf of the minor.
Rights in and Use of Submissions:
By entering this Contest, each Entrant grants Sponsor (and those acting pursuant to the direction of Sponsor) the perpetual, irrevocable, fully-transferable right and license to use, reproduce, display, prepare derivative works from and publicly perform the Entrant’s Submission for advertising, trade and promotional purposes in any media or manner worldwide, and to post the Submission on the Contest Website and other Sponsor websites and channels of media for viewing by the public. Sponsor reserves the right to modify or edit any Submission, in whole or in part, for content, clarity or any other reason, and each Entrant waives any and all “moral rights” in and to his Submission. Sponsor further reserves the right to decline to use the Submission for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion, including, without limitation, the Prize winner’s Submission. Entrants (including Prize winner) agree that there is no guarantee that Sponsor will make use of any rights granted to Sponsor in any Submission.
PRIZE AND JUDGING.
The likelihood of winning will depend upon the quality of all other entries. If Sponsor cannot find a sufficient number of entries to satisfy all requirements from among the entries received, some or all of the prizes may not be awarded.
1. Total of three (3) prizes. Each prize includes:
• $1,000 cash (to be awarded in the form of a check); and
• the opportunity to make a short film about reproductive justice, based on Entrant’s winning video, that may be shown at a screening event held during a national film festival, subject to availability. The Entrant will not be given any additional funds beyond the cash prize to make their short film, but will receive advice and input from media industry professionals, including an esteemed female television/film director, during the production process.
If a Submission is submitted by a group of eligible students, the cash prize amount will be divided and allocated equally amongst the students named on the entry. ALL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZE ARE SOLELY THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER.
- There will be two rounds of judging.
Round 1: During the first round of judging, Sponsor will enable public voting on the Contest Website. Members of the public can vote for their favorite Submission in accordance with the voting instructions and restrictions posted on the Contest Website. The top five (5) Submissions with the most public votes will be selected as finalists (“Finalists”).
Entrants agree not to use any robot, spider, other automatic device, to enable votes in the Contest. Entrants further agree not to use any device, software or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the voting for the Contest. If a potential Finalist is disqualified for any reason, the runner-up in voting for the applicable Round will be selected as the potential Finalist, subject to verification. Results of the voting, as tabulated and verified by Sponsor (or its designee) are final in all respects. Sponsor (or its designee) will make efforts to monitor the voting. However, the Released Parties (defined below) are not responsible for ensuring the accuracy of the voting, and entrants agree that the Released Parties are not liable for any malfunctions, inaccuracies, or errors related to the voting process and results of the Contest. In the event of a tie, the judging panel will determine the potential Entrant selected as the Finalist from among tied Submissions.
Round 2: During the final round of judging, a small judging panel composed of esteemed female television/film director, media professionals, as well as health care experts, will select the three (3) potential winners from the Finalists, subject to verification.
2. Judging of the Submissions is based on the following criteria:
• Content clearness and effectiveness of the video in narrating a story about the theme of reproductive justice.
• Innovation, originality, and impact telling a reproductive justice story in a fresh and unusual way, appealing to a broad and diverse audience, and encouraging further thought and action.
• Technical expertise and creativity quality of the camera and audio work, effectiveness of the editing and strength of the script.
The potential prize winners will be notified by phone or email on or about [February 16, 2018] with instructions on how to redeem the prize. Please ensure that email settings are set up to allow for receipt of email communications from Sponsor. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for undeliverable prize notification resulting from active or passive filtering by entrant’s email settings.. Potential prize winner must sign and return any required forms, including, without limitation, affidavits of eligibility, prize acceptance and liability and publicity release forms, and IRS-W9 forms, to Sponsor within seven (7) days after delivery of the forms. If a potential prize winner fails to comply with these Official Rules or fails to return all of the required forms within the time specified, that potential prize winner may be disqualified, and an alternative prize winner may be selected by Sponsor from the remaining Submissions as set forth above. The return of the above-mentioned forms within the allotted time shall be solely the responsibility of the prize winner; Sponsor is not responsible for delays in delivery.
Prize is non-transferable. No substitution of prizes is permitted; however, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any prize with another of equal or greater value. Sponsor and its respective parent, affiliate and subsidiary companies, agents, and representatives are not responsible for any typographical or other errors in the offer or administration of the Contest, including, but not limited to, errors in any printing or posting or these Official Rules, calculation of votes, the selection and announcement of any winner, or the distribution of any prize. Any attempt to damage the content or operation of this Contest is unlawful and subject to possible legal action by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate, suspend or amend the Contest, without notice, and for any reason, including, without limitation, if Sponsor determines that the Contest cannot be conducted as planned or should a virus, bug, tampering or unauthorized intervention, technical failure or other cause beyond Sponsor’s control corrupt the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper play of the Contest. In the event any tampering or unauthorized intervention may have occurred, Sponsor reserves the right to void suspect entries at issue. Sponsor and its respective parent, affiliate and subsidiary companies, agents, and representatives, and any telephone network or service providers, are not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate transcription of entry information, or for any human error, technical malfunction, lost or delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, line failure or malfunction of any telephone network, computer equipment or software, the inability to access any website or online service or any other error, human or otherwise.
INDEMNIFICATION AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, EACH ENTRANT AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS SPONSOR AND ITS PARENT, AFFILIATE SUBSIDIARY COMPANIES, AGENTS, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTIONAL AGENCIES, AND ALL THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS (“RELEASED PARTIES”) FROM ANY LIABILITY, DAMAGES, LOSSES OR INJURY RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THAT ENTRANT'S PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST AND THE ACCEPTANCE, USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE THAT MAY BE WON. THE RELEASED PARTIES DO NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE CONDITION, FITNESS OR MERCHANTABILITY OF THE PRIZE.
THE RELEASED PARTIES DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO ANY COMPUTER SYSTEM RESULTING FROM ACCESS TO OR THE DOWNLOAD OF INFORMATION OR MATERIALS CONNECTED WITH THE CONTEST.
By entering, each Entrant grants Sponsor and its advertising and promotional agencies and providers and those acting under their permission the irrevocable and perpetual right to use his/her name, likeness, voice, comments, Submission for advertising and publicity purposes without payment of additional consideration, except where prohibited by law.
Entrants agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, this Contest or the acceptance, use or misuse of the prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of Columbia or the appropriate state superior court located in the District of Columbia; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs, but in no event including attorneys' fees, disbursements or court costs; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental and consequential damages, and any other damages other than for actual out-of-pocket costs.
Except as otherwise provided in these Official Rules, information submitted to Sponsor will be treated in accordance with the terms of the Sponsor privacy statement, as follows.
This privacy notice discloses the privacy practices for www.mskchallenge.com. This privacy notice applies solely to information collected by this website. It will notify you of the following:
Information Collection, Use, and Sharing
- What personally identifiable information is collected from you through the website, how it is used and with whom it may be shared.
- What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data.
- The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information.
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
We are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily give us via email or other direct contact from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone.
We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfill your request, e.g. to ship an order.
Your Access to and Control Over Information
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:
- See what data we have about you, if any.
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.
Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a lock icon in the address bar and looking for "https" at the beginning of the address of the Web page.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
In order to use this website, a user must first complete the registration form. During registration, a user is required to give certain information (such as name and email address). This information is used to contact you about the products/services on our site in which you have expressed interest. At your option, you may also provide demographic information (such as gender or age) about yourself, but it is not required.
Surveys & Contests
From time-to-time, our site requests information via surveys or contests. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and you may choose whether or not to participate and therefore disclose this information. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as zip code, age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of this site.
COPIES OF THE RULES AND WHO WON.
Requests for copies of these Official Rules or a winners’ list (after February 16, 2018) may be sent to Sponsor at 55 M Street, SE, Suite 940, Washington, DC 20003. All requests must be received by February 23, 2018.